Saturday, December 26, 2009

No Boundaries...


So I left Memphis this morning to be with Valerie as she was to be stuck in a Knoxville hotel with nobody to keep her company. I miss my wife terribly when she is gone, especially when those times fall on days like Christmas... This was our first Christmas as a married couple and it was incredibly distracting not to have Valerie there with me. Not that she isn't also incredibly distracting when she's there; she's just kinda' awesome like that.

One of the other awesome things about being married to a flight attendant is that where she flies, I can fly. So the morning after Christmas found me on a plane to Knoxville. I had brought Val's laptop and as soon as the plane had reached an altitude at which we could use our toys again I pulled it out and started watching a movie I had brought along. Eventually the man with the drinks came along and I paused my movie and opened the window back up. I was greeted with a stunning view.


The grainy image taken by the camera on my phone can hardly do the scene justice. The river below (I can only guess that it might have been the Tennessee River) stretched off to the distant horizon like a ribbon of shimmering light and smaller bodies of water set like glistening gems in the lightly glowing amber of the Earth.

I thought how different this appeared from even a modern satellite image in it's depth and reality. Here we looked down on the Earth below us in real time with a clarity and a view of the whole picture only available to those who pass above it. It occurred to me that this must be how God looks down on the us all the time, only he sees everything, at once, with a breadth and scope that we can scarcely fathom in our mortal state. He sees past the horizons which limit our view. He recognizes no boundaries on the terrain. No lines of demarcation denoting cities, states, nations... All territories are His. God has no boundaries except those which he has set for himself. Only by His own word is He bound and He does not recognize the authority of man to set boundaries, even on himself.

Anyhow, I pontificate. Christ said it much more powerfully & succinctly: With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Amen to that. Amen.

No comments: